The
three icons that I chose is Elvis Presley, Siamese cats, and Norman Vincent
Peale. Musician and actor Elvis Presley
became on the biggest names in rock’n’roll. By the mid 1950’s, he appeared on
the radio, television and the silver screen (Elvis Presley, 1996 - 2013). The Siamese cat is a breed of cats that is
most popular of all the short haired cats, and is made distinctive by its long,
slender body, and blue eyes (Cat Breeds and Types of Cats, 2009 - 2013). Norman Vincent
Peale was a Protestant preacher and author.
He originated the theory of positive thinking. His most famous book is The Power of Positive Thinking (Norman Vincent Peale).
The
first icon that came to mind was Elvis Presley.
I was 8 years old when Elvis passed away and I can remember what I was
doing on that day. My first exposure
came from my grandmother who would listen to Elvis and my mother had his 45 of Jail House Rock. Since, I have collected his records, trading
cards, and various other items. Visiting
Memphis was one of the best vacations I have been on. I of course love his voice and found him very
attractive. But most of all, I found his life interesting. Growing up on
government assistance, watching his father jump from one job to another, he was
still able thrive and achieve so much.
My second icon is the Siamese cat. This is a strange icon for someone who has asthma
such as me but they are sentimental to me. My grandmother had four Siamese cats
that she loved dearly. As does my uncle and cousin. They have been something that I have always
grown up with and they bring back great memories. I have a Siamese named
Elvis.
The third icon I chose is Norman
Vincent Peale who was a minister and author. His most notable book is The Power of Positive Thinking. This was the first book of his that I read. I
found the book inspiring. It has been one of those books that I keep close on
the bookshelf and pull down from time to time.
References:
Cat Breeds and Types of Cats. (2009 - 2013). Retrieved from Meow-cats:
http://meow-cats.com/siamese-cat/
Elvis Presley.
(1996 - 2013). Retrieved from A&E Television Networks:
http://www.biography.com/people/elvis-presley-9446466
Norman Vincent Peale. (n.d.).
Retrieved from Norman Vincent Peale: http://normanvincentpeale.wwwhubs.com/



Hello Dawn,
ReplyDeleteI love the Icons that you have chosen. My remember when I was little, going to my Grandpa's house and seeing Elvis memorabilia everywhere. I've have always wanted a Siamese cat, but have yet to get one.