Wednesday, April 3, 2013


Popular Culture is the system of attitudes, behavior patterns, beliefs, customs, and tastes that define the people of any society (Browne, 2005). To me Popular Culture means the many differences in my child hood and my sons.  My son who is 8 years old is always asking me questions about my childhood. What was my favorite cartoon? What music did I listen to? When you stop and think about all the changes that have taken place over the years, one can see how society has changed and how our demand for more has changed our culture. Popular Culture changes from year to year. One year a pair of Levi jeans is in and the next year they can be out. The same can be said for music, foods, and the way society views a custom.  These changes are caused by the needs and wants of society.  This is why it is important to understand popular culture in the business environment. Companies need to understand the needs and wants of consumers in the areas where they are marketing. 
My example of a pop culture artifact is a pair of jeans.  The reason I feel jeans qualifies as an artifact is that they date back to the 18th century and through the many changes of our country jeans continue to be a very popular item of clothing.  Jeans have gone from being worn by plantation workers, to gold miners during the California Gold Rush to designer jeans in the 1980’s. Each new design was due to the need of consumers and the culture.

References
Browne, R. E. (2005). Profiles of Popular Culture A Reader. Madison: The University Of Wisconsin Press Popular Press.
The History of Jeans. (1998). Retrieved from The New Internationalist: http://newint.org/easier-english/Garment/jhistory.html

2 comments:

  1. Dawn excellent way to explain popular culture! I would agree with you that jeans are an artifact of popular culture. It is funny how a pair of jeans changes from year to year or even decades. I remember when I was a kid the big thing was to peg your jeans. Great job on your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn nice blog on your deinition of popular culture. As Misty stated it is funny how jeans or any type of clothing can change over the years. I remember also it was the thing to peg your jeans. Also when I was younger it was a big thing to wear two pairs of socks where you scrunched them down and then peged your jeans. I think that the popular culture of an item can come and go like with bell bottom jeans. Bell bottom jeans used to be the thing back in the day and this trend is has come back. Nice job

    ReplyDelete