Reality television shows are filled with
popular culture theories. There are the
icons which can be found on American Idol, The Voice, and Survivor. Then there
are the heroes which are found on Celebrity Apprentice. Celebrities such as Dennis Rodman, Bret
Michaels, and La Toya Jackson fight to raise money and awareness for their
charity of choice. The last person standing will be chosen as the Celebrity Apprentice
and have the honor of delivering a $250,000 bonus check to their designated
charity (Celebrity Apprentice, 2013). The most common
theory found in reality television is the stereotypes which can be found in the
saucy, southern, six-year-old pageant queen Honey Boo Boo, to the
hard-drinking, hypersexual Italian-Americans on Jersey Shore. These politically
incorrect themes on reality television in the United States are hard to escape (Reality TV Casts Controversial Spotlight on American
Stereotypes, 2013).
The most interesting analysis is the popularity of
reality shows. I found this so
interesting because of all the drama and stereotypes that are found in the
shows. Viewers enjoy watching the cast fight, struggle, and just be basically
“white trash”. Reality TV allows
Americans to fantasize about gaining status through automatic fame. Ordinary
people can watch the shows, see people like themselves and imagine that they
too could become celebrities by being on television (Reiss & Wiltz, 2001).
I will think of popular culture differently because now I
understand the definition. Prior to
taking this class, I thought that popular culture was the culture of popular
people. Now I look at television, groups of people, and even my work
environment and think about the individual’s culture. Why they behavior the way
they do. I look at the different stereotypes that I hear daily and think about
how it originated. I really enjoyed this
class and found it to beneficial in my own life.
References
Browne, R. E. (2005). Profiles of Popular Culture A
Reader. Madison: The University Of Wisconsin Press Popular Press.
Celebrity Apprentice. (2013). Retrieved from NBC.com: http://www.nbc.com/the-apprentice/about/
Reality TV Casts Controversial Spotlight on American
Stereotypes. (2013). Retrieved from
Rianovosti: http://en.rian.ru/art_living/20130119/178877245.html
Reiss, S., & Wiltz, J. (2001). Why America
Loves Reality TV. Retrieved from Psychology Today:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200109/why-america-loves-reality-tv
No comments:
Post a Comment